[PD-ot] project idea: ngspice for pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 7 23:25:06 CEST 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Christian Klippel wrote:

> thats why i think both would make a nice couple, especially for all the analog
> sound freaks out there ;) sure it is not use-able to emulate some
> full-featured, digital circuit with it... i dont see much sense in that
> anyway, since it could be done in pd natively, its just the sound
> generation/manipulation through circuit emulation that i am after ...

I think that if you're going to emulate analog electronics using Pd, you
will have to create a new subsystem aside the messagesystem and the
signalsystem, which will work sort of like the signalsystem but will take
into account two-way interaction between components. Analog circuits don't
have much to do with dataflow, it's just that most readymade components
are made to approximate dataflow because it's a model that is easier to
think about than something that needs you to solve linear equation
systems just to find what anything is doing.

For those who'd rather face the analog electronics, this could be a really
cool project. I'm curious how you'd implement the following in Pd:

      .-[ohm 22]-.------------[ohm 15]-.
      |          |                     |
A ----|          `-[ohm 33]-.          |---- B
      |                     |          |
      `-[ohm 47]-'----------'-[ohm 68]-'

such that if a [ohmmeter] gui object is plugged into A and B it will find
the right voltage. I don't really know how existing algorithms work. Do
you plan to use existing algorithms or come up with more efficient ones?
What is the samplerate required at the analog-simulation level in order to
be able to produce a pitch like [osc~ 11025] in a rather faithful way?

I didn't distinguish inlets and outlets in the above diagram. This is
because a resistor doesn't distinguish between inlets and outlets. In your
system, what would be considered an inlet and what would be considered an
outlet and why?

I copied this to pd-list because I don't see anything off-topic in the
idea...