[PD-ot] Recording GEM output

Erich Berger eb at randomseed.org
Mon May 22 12:17:43 CEST 2006

hi frank,

> I'm a video idiot, but as I've started to perform with Gem visuals, I
> think I should learn up a bit on how to record video and sound
> together. Recording only audio works fine from within Pd or through
> Jack, but how do you Gem/PDP/Gridflow users go about with recording a
> complete video performance for archive purposes? I would prefer
> something which would allow me to plug into the VGA-out of my laptop
> and the soundcard's output as well and which would then capture the
> complete video and sound data to <what?>

i can only talk about GEM. best quality is of course to use pix_write
to get single images and render them afterwards. unfortunately this migth
slow down the framerate heavily (depending on your patch) and so it
becomes useless for life performances.

i ususally just plug in a dv cam into my svideo output, and audio
from the mixer as well. the result is not more then a docu as i
usually work with xga. but also the quality of svga is not that
good. if you only have a vga output then you need a scan converter.
there are some cheap ones and so is the result. many of them are even
"software aided" and then you might be stuck with a certain OS.
if you need to go for this solution i would try beforehand or ask
around for which one you decide.

cheers

erich