[PD-ot] Vague Terrain 06: Locative - Call for submissions

David NG McCallum d at mentalfloss.ca
Sun Oct 22 22:10:08 CEST 2006

Sorry for cross-postings, please pass on!

=============

vague terrain 06: locative
http://www.vagueterrain.net
guest curated by David McCallum

Not only are our lives being interwoven with technology, but technology
that has an understanding of where it is. Locative technology can be
described as the connection of information to geography. It is evident
in microphones, cameras, RFID, GPS, wireless communications protocols,
and a host of other sensors and technologies that are allowing devices
to understand their places among people, within space, and among other
devices. This technology, as proxy, allows us to better understand our
place within, and our relationships to the spaces which we inhabit. This
issue of vague terrain will allow us to better understand these
technologies.

call for work
We are seeking:

Artworks that employ location-aware technology, or documentation of such
an artwork, consisting of statements and supporting images. Please do
not provide research papers as documentation of the artwork.

Text, interviews, or academic papers on the theme of location-aware
technology and locative media, of any length. We will accept pitches for
as-yet unwritten interviews or texts—please provide samples of your writing.

30-40 minutes of original music—essentially an EP's worth of music—that
uses location-aware technology or touches on our perception and
understanding of space.

As a general rule of thumb for all submissions, we welcome the
recontextualiztion of past work, but the onus is on the contributor to
obtain permission to (re)publish material online if the rights belong to
another publication, label, journal, etc.

submission deadline

The submission deadline for vague terrain 06: locative is Sunday,
November 26th, 2006. Late work may be accepted at our discretion.

Please respond to this call for work (via locative at vagueterrain.net) by
Sunday, November 5th, 2006 to express your interest in participating.
This is not essential, but is more likely to result in your work being
chosen.

Vague Terrain 06: locative will be published online in the Spring of 2007.

legalities

Vague Terrain will utilize Creative Commons—the standard protocols for
online content sharing to protect the work of invited artists. Our base
site-wide policy will be Creative Commons Deed
'Attributive-NonCommercial-NoDerivs' which allows for the following:

Work is free to be distributed, displayed, and performed assuming that
credit is given to the originating artist (you) and content source
(vagueterrain.net), is noncommercial, and that the work may not be
altered and transformed. A detailed explanation is available at online
at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ in both plain
English and legalese.

We are open to different Creative Commons deeds if an invited artist is
unwilling to display their work according to the above terms. If you
have a specific agenda regarding the manner in which your work is
accessible to the public, please let us know.

the curator

David McCallum is the Associate Editor at Musicworks Magazine, and a
musician and sound artist. His work has focused on improvised music, DIY
electronics, and locative media. Groups and projects have included the
Warbike, a mobile sonification of WiFi networks; Interaccess' I/O Media
and the Live Electroacoustic Research Kitchen improv groups; and You Say
Potatoe, I Say Potato: a study in the sonic properties of genetically
modified potatoes.

For more information on David please see
http://www.mentalfloss.ca/sintheta/?

contact

For more information about participating please contact
locative at vagueterrain.net
http://www.vagueterrain.net

--
http://sintheta.org