[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 16 19:02:08 CET 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 8:38 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Apple puts good audio hardware in their laptops.  I can get 14ms of
>> latency on Mac OS X with Pd without really trying (I just set it to
>> 14ms).  I can get down to 11ms if I don't mind clicks when I
>> operate the
>> menus and switch to other applications.
>
> as always when it comes to latency and people tell numbers, i have to
> ask my question: have you measured this? how? or was it just
> "putting a
> number somewhere and assuming that it's the real latency"?
> how much load do your settings allow?

Yes, its true, I am too lazy to do an actual measurement.  I am just
talking about the buffer setting.  For what I do, I don't really need
much lower.

And always, when talking about latency, I feel the need to point out
the speed of sound: 340 m/s or .34 m/ms.  So if your speakers are 2m
away from you, that's 6ms of latency.  You could spend days tweaking
your machine to get 3ms less latency, or you could move 1m closer to
your speakers.  Puts things into perspective...

publicity.          - Bill Moyers