[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Dec 17 00:19:17 CET 2006

Yeah, drummers have by far the most sensitivity to latency.  That's
something I overlooked with my last post about latency.  Good
drummers can also control impacts to sub-millisecond accuracy, in the
case of something like two drumsticks hitting one after the other.
This is due to muscle control though, this is happening far to
quickly for the audio feedback loop.

But the crux of the matter is that looking only at latency is missing
whole picture of what is going on.  You would be much better off with
a solid 30ms of latency than a range of 5-10ms of latency.  So jitter
measurements should be performed as well.

Another thing that is not mentioned is blind testing.  If you believe
that something should be better, you will perceive a difference
regardless of whether its there or not.  A good example is your
mouse.  Try moving the mouse around and then guess the latency of
your mouse.  For a USB mouse, the best it gets is 10ms (with low
jitter), yet I doubt few notice it.

That points out another key aspect of this: what you are used to.
Musicians are quite sensitive to change.  Violinists can tell
amazingly tiny differences in the response of different violins, for
example.  You will notice a change, but if you practice with any
given setup, you will adapt.  I doubt that there is a noticeable
difference in performance abilities for people of equal experience on
a system of 10ms vs. a system of 30ms.

.hc