[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 18 06:31:17 CET 2006

Honestly, I doubt you could tell the difference between 4ms and 14ms
in a blind test.  There have been many studies on this.  If you can
detect such tiny differences in onset time, you would be superhuman.

For a tonal sound like a piano, humans perceive two sounds as one if
they have an onset within 30ms of each other.  Humans can perceive
such tiny temporal details, but this is for timbral perception rather
than onset perception.

So my guess as to what is happening is that you can recognize the
differences and it is something that has been deemed a source of
annoyance.  But when it comes down to it, all of the studies I have
seen clearly show that musicians can perform equally at latencies
around 50ms versus much lower latencies.

I've always wanted to make a set of patches to illustrate these
concepts.  I've had a couple, but they take a while to write since
they have to be quite precise.  There are lots of very interesting
concepts of perception that are quite stunning when you try them
yourself.  It feels like of like you are hacking your brain, trying
to figure out how it works.

.hc