[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 16:52:57 CET 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Honestly, I doubt you could tell the difference between 4ms and 14ms in
> a blind test.  There have been many studies on this.  If you can detect
> such tiny differences in onset time, you would be superhuman.

please test me! are these studies made with instrumentalists and
performers? (I did not read them yet, but know about perception tests in
general) It is not a big deal to play scales with notes of about 40-50
ms. so 10 percent delay makes you believe you play slower. playing fast
musical events makes the listener think it is one event, but actually
the performer has to trigger two ore several events.
it is not just pressing a key and asking did I percept the delay..
marius.