[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 18 19:35:43 CET 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 1:16 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2006, at 4:59 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>

>>> he gradually became louder in order to minimize the latency (with
>>> physical wind instruments this helps), and after 1 hour of
>>> playing he
>>> almost collapsed (ok, that's a bit exaggerated)
>>
>> I don't doubt that it was fatiguing to play that instrument.  But
>> do you
>> have any specific data that shows that the latency was the source
>> of the
>> problem?  My guess is that the reduction of feedback is essential
>> part
>> of this.  I think that a system with so little feedback will be
>> fatiguing to play no matter how low the latency.
>
> he is used to play his MIDI wind-controller for years.
>
> he kept complaining about the (increased) latency during all
> rehearsals.
>
> i have no reason to believe that he lied to me, when he said he had
> seriously more problems on the system which added more latency.
>
> probably he was just in the "superhuman mode", but honestly i doubt
> this.
>
> 64k are still enough..

Ah ok, that explains it.  So he was used to the MIDI wind controller,
and you presented him with a different one, with different latency.
This is the case of the skilled musician sensitive to subtle
differences that I mentioned in the beginning of this discussion.  So
I think here it is the change in latency that is the more important
factor rather than purely the larger latency.  I think you would also
get a similar experience if you were skilled with a high latency
instrument and you were presented with a low latency version of the
same thing.

Believe me, I am not saying that you shouldn't be working on
developing lower latency hardware and software.  I think that is
valuable research.  What I have a problem with is the common belief
that if your system has more than 10ms of latency, its unusable as a
real instrument.  That is just plainly untrue, and many physical,
traditional instruments have much larger latencies, violin being a
good example.

So if you are interested in the question of how to create low-latency
systems, like many here are, please continue to work on that.  But if
you are interested in making music, stop worrying about latency and
learn to play your instrument.  Unless you have a really crappy sound
card like my ooold Thinkpad.  It had 850ms of latency, so yeah, that
was limiting. :)

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler