[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 18 20:20:16 CET 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So I think here it is the change in latency that is the more important
> factor rather than purely the larger latency.  I think you would also
> get a similar experience if you were skilled with a high latency
> instrument and you were presented with a low latency version of the same
> thing.

This is because a musician automatically learns to compensate for latency
by playing all notes in advance. All musicians do this, but usually having
more to do with latency of the muscles and nerves. When the latency is
changed, the musician has to retrain to a different compensation delay,
and that's more tiresome than not having to retrain.