[PD-ot] blogger.com

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 22 18:24:58 CET 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 4:33 AM, Christian Klippel wrote:

> Am Montag, 22. Januar 2007 10:20 schrieb IOhannes m zmoelnig:
>> hi.
>>
>> i hope this is the right "cypod" i am directing this email to.
>> the correct one, would be the person who subscribed "pd-list" to
>> "blogger.com".
>> in any case i also send this mail to pd-ot at .
>>
> [...snip...]
>
> wow ... so, instead of only having the list-archive where spammers
> can collect
> e-mail adresses, there are also dumb fools who think it is a good
> idea to
> subscribe a blog to this list, making it even easier for spammers
> to harvest
> addresses? thats just crazy, really....
>
> besides that, doing so shows disrespect to the people on the list,
> since it
> means that their postings get automatically published elsewhere,
> without
> permission. maybe there are people who dont want their posts to be
> spread any
> further than to the lists.
>
> isnt it enough to post a link to the list(archives) instead of
> copying it in
> full, if someone really wants access through his/her pages to this
> list(s)?
>
> i find that really disturbing. at least there could have been a
> request mail
> to the list to ask the people if they are ok with that.

It would be nice if that person had notified the list about this
(perhaps they did, I didn't check the archives).  This is a public
list, and its already archived in other places like gmane, so I don't
think we can expect people to get permission from every person who
ever posted on the list in order to reuse the list contents.

I think it's more effective to make sure people realize that posting
to lists like this means they are giving the contents of those emails
to the public domain.  If you don't want the info public, then don't
post it to public lists.

That said, I think IOhannes is correct about the way to go about
doing the blogger reposting.

.hc