[PD-ot] blogger.com

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 24 04:50:03 CET 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Christian Klippel wrote:

> Am Montag, 22. Januar 2007 18:24 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
>>
>> It would be nice if that person had notified the list about this
>> (perhaps they did, I didn't check the archives).  This is a public
>> list, and its already archived in other places like gmane, so I don't
>> think we can expect people to get permission from every person who
>> ever posted on the list in order to reuse the list contents.
>
> ah, so this list is spread to even more public places? dont these
> people have
> their own ideas/content to fill their pages with? seems so ...
>

>> I think it's more effective to make sure people realize that posting
>> to lists like this means they are giving the contents of those emails
>> to the public domain.
>
> great! would you say the same if it would be about a drug related
> list? since
> it is public accessible, no problem to forward it elsewhere
> completely? maybe
> to the employers of the people posting there? if not, why? it would
> be public
> list as well, so whats the difference? sorry, but your argument is
> a bit
> weak. using the same logic, one could say "wiretapping is ok, since
> we dont
> have anything to hide".
>
> again, i find it disturbing that the list is "forwarded" to other
> places in
> whole, without even notifying the people about it and to ask the
> list if the
> majority of the people on the list are ok with that. it doesnt
> matter what
> the topic of the list is, it has to do with respect to the people
> here.

I don't mean to be annoying or anything, but I don't understand the
problem here.  What harm is done if a public list like this is
archived in other formats?  Anyone can subscribe, the archives are
freely searchable and downloadable on the iem.at site.  I am having a
hard time seeing any violation of privacy if someone mirrors the
public archive.

.hc