[PD-ot] sine wave speech

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 23:17:42 CEST 2007

In theory there are 5 formants in speech, spaced at roughly 1KHz intervals: 60-1000Hz, 1000-2000Hz etc (roughly).
If you make sine waves in these frequency ranges you can make vowel-like sounds.

I don't know what they would do for consonants though - FM?

Haven't read the paper - this is a glib answer! If and when I get this formant analyser I want to build made and working, you should be able to drive sines with it, to talk in sines. But if you use Snack tools or something to get formant analyses of speech, you should be able to load them into a msgfile and drive sines from that.

...but I need to get a lot finished before I can turn to that again. How to get a resonance curve from filter coefficients in 1 block is my problem...

Ed

IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote: Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just found this paper, and I wonder if anyone has implemented a
> sine-wave speech synth in Pd.
>
> http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Sine-wave_Speech
>
> Basically, you can make intelligable speech using just three sine
> waves.

i only remember having used something as simple (and obvious) as
[fiddle~] with 5 partials or so to do this as one of my very first test
with this object (back in 1998 or so)

fmasdr.
IOhannes

Lone Shark "Aviation" out now on http://www.pyramidtransmissions.com