[PD-ot] [PD] PDCon07 peer review process

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Oct 4 03:15:05 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 12:58:53PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Martin Peach wrote:
>
> >marius schebella wrote:
> >>btw, who/what is khanawake?
> >It's part of Canada's version of the apartheid system:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahnawake,_Quebec
>
> While you are on Wikipedia could you please look up Apartheid and tell me
> wtf it has to do with anywhere in contemporary Canada.

Interesting sidenote: The UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
People was was adopted on the 13th of September (21 days ago). An
overwhelming 144 countries voted for it, with 11 countries abstaining.
The four countries which voted against it were the United States, Canada,
Australia and New Zealand.

For an excellent insight into the movement of human peoples over the
last 13,000 years I can't recommend "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared
Diamond highly enough. It's a wonderfully informative book.

Best,

Chris.