[PD-ot] PD-ot Digest, Vol 29, Issue 11

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Oct 23 19:11:09 CEST 2007

Yeah, Barcelona is being overrun by moneyed people from outside.  The
property rates have skyrocketed while salaries have barely changed,
for the most part.  People who grew up there can no longer afford it,
and are moving out.  My girlfriend grew up in Barcelona and many of
her friends and cousins have left because they had to.

I saw the conclusion of this effect while growing up near San
Francisco.  It used to be a very diverse, interesting city.  Now it's
dominated by hipsters and yuppies.

.hc