[PD-ot] pdlua license (Was: Re: [PD] Fun with Lua coroutines)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Nov 4 20:17:57 CET 2007

Hallo,
Claude Heiland-Allen hat gesagt: // Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> Yes, Pd is BSD (I think), Lua is MIT, but pdlua is GPL (I guess by habit
> rather than deep choice).
>
> I'll think about this some more, maybe I'll change the license for
> future releases.  Would appreciate comments/criticism on this.

Here's a snippet from http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaStyleGuide

  Software Licensing

  The choice of software license for your Lua code depends on your
  goals and what type of code it is (e.g. module or application).
  Licensing choice is particularly significant for modules, which are
  often distributed with other modules and applications.

  There are advantages to licensing Lua modules, or at least those
  intended for the general Lua community, under the same terms as
  Lua[2] itself, which as of version 5.0 is the MIT license[3]. Not
  only is the MIT license a very simple to understand and
  unrestrictive license (in fact, no more restrictive than Lua
  itself), but consistency in licensing between modules and with Lua
  allows simplified distribution of bundles of modules and Lua
  together, such as for distributions and embedded versions of Lua.
  (This basic approach has worked very well in the past for the Perl
  language, which has thousands of modules most entirely under an
  MIT-like license called the Artistic License, under which Perl is
  also distributed. Perl modules often indicate their licensing simply
  with the statement "Licensed under the same terms as Perl itself.")
  Those advantages of using an MIT license are reduced, though not
  eliminated, if your Lua module acts as a binding to some C library
  released under some very different license such (L)GPL or a closed
  source one since the latter code impose stronger restrictions on
  distribution anyway. Avoid, whenever possible, writing your own
  license or adding additional clauses but rather consider strongly
  the words of warning about consistency at the top of this document
  since inconsistency is a detriment to reusability, and reusability
  is a main advantage of modules.

Ciao