[PD-ot] [PD] hardcore nerd question

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Dec 11 03:52:30 CET 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 01:47:50PM +0000, Andy Farnell wrote:
> In a sci-fi story I once read, an inventor creates a device that can listen
> into the past by recovering long passed conversations from the thermal heat
> in a building.
>
> The author has totally slipped my mind. Does anyone remember this story
> and who wrote it?

I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that this sounds
very similar to a real-world side band attack where you can determine
someone's pin-number or password by statistical analysis of the thermal
decay happening on each key where their fingers pressed after they have
left.

Van Eckings,

Chris.