[PD-ot] L2 cache and Pd

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Thu Sep 11 05:11:50 CEST 2008

Hi Miller,

Thanks for the tips.

> HOWEVER, I sure doubt any laptop will have the memory and I/O bandwidth
> to support high frame-rate pix operations on 1024x768 anyway.  Also,
> the more expensice CPU is likely to burn more watts, so your battery life
> goes down and your machine may crash occasionally or even catch on fire.

I have not seen the issue of over loaded laptops burning among the Pd
docs. Or is it not unique to Pd? :)

> The (desktop) machine I'm using now has 2M, and the one I travel with has 512K.
> My personal rule is to stay in the $100-$150 CPU price range which seems to be
> a sort of sweet spot for desktop machines.  It's probably possible to find a
> similar point-of-diminishing-returns for mobile CPUs; just hit pricewatch.com
> and look for the point above which the prices start soaring much faster than
> FSB and CPU clock rates.

O/T,
Incidentally, till recently trends said that over clocking a Q6600 was
the way to go in terms of cost performance.
Although this was for desktops and not laptops which I am looking into,
as far as I know, for the first time in DAW (and other music app)
history, there had been less stress in choosing hardware.
I wish it were always that easy.

Thank you for the tip, I think I will go for the T8x00 and buy you a
beer with the few hundred dollars saved.

--
David Shimamoto