[PD-ot] Who Plays the Mixing Desk

Bryan Jurish jurish at uni-potsdam.de
Thu May 6 11:59:13 CEST 2010

moin jb,

On 2010-05-06 11:29:54, J bz <jbeezez at googlemail.com> appears to have
written:
> traditional approach of sound engineering - setting an 'ideal' balance
> and leaving it at that.
> regieur

possibly "Regler"?

This translates roughly as "regulator", "orderer" or [tongue-in-cheek]
"rule-enforcer".  "Regler" is a noun used to refer to pretty much any
object/component whose physical manipulation controls a single
(continuous) parameter (e.g. sliders, knobs, dials, but NOT buttons or
switches).  The compositional/etymological meaning of "regulator" might
tend to suggest your "(ideal) balance" reading (the verb "regeln"
basically means "to bring or restore order"), but imho (I'm not a native
German speaker, but I have lived here for the past 16 years) those
implications aren't really overt.

marmosets,
	Bryan

On 2010-05-06 11:29:54, J bz <jbeezez at googlemail.com> appears to have
written:

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology