[PD-ot] subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Aug 26 03:11:35 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:26:08AM +0200, Michael Zacherl. wrote:
> Hello,
> in Weimar and Berlin I noticed quite a few people are using small laptops/netbooks.
>
> I'm in the market for a netbook now and want to run linux w/ the usual suspects for experimental electronic music (Pure Data, SC, Ardour, Processing etc.)
> Softwarewise Im currently looking at pure:dyne as the operating system.
> But I'm open to suggestions.
>
> What would you recommend for the hardware?

I recently faced the same problem and after quite a bit of research I ended up buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-LT3119u-11-6-Inch-Netbook-NightSky/dp/B003UNP0OK/

I am running Ubuntu GNU/Linux 32 bit on it (it is a 64bit CPU).

Pros:

 * 1366 x 728, 11.6 inch screen (slightly larger than most other netbooks)
 * Small and light
 * Runs Linux well
 * 2GB memory
 * Dual core
 * Runs Pd with moderately heavy patches e.g. Garage Acid Lab :)

Cons:

 * Battery life - about 2.5 hrs
 * Graphics card drivers are still under development - only does software 3d as far as I can tell
 * No sim card support (I have used a USB Modem successfully but usually I just tether to the internet through my Android phone).
 * The fan might be considered loud by some (I don't notice it, but you can make it out if there is no other noise in the room - it is covered by normal conversational volumes and the sound of my keyboard clacking, but it's definitely not completely silent).

So far I have taken it on a couple of airplane trips and it has really helped with mobility, through customs etc. compared to my old chunky laptop.

This netbook thing works for me - I don't think I'll go back to laptops again.

Cheers,

Chris.