[PD-ot] subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 27 01:13:09 CEST 2011

I don't have a netbook, but I would be buying one at some point as well,
when my 7-year-old thinkpad dies. I've done some basic research on this.
I'm a fan of IBM/Lenovo, anyway. A friend of mine has an ideapad running
Xp + ubuntu + hackintosh, everything ok.
I guess that lenovo + asus have the best support for non-windows, but I
might be outdated in this evaluation.

Did you consider using RME audio, like Multiface+Expresscard? Expensive,
but very good. At least the pcmcia card worked out of the box with ubuntu,
haven't heard any reports on the expresscard.

With base models of netbooks you might get the normal 1 Core, 1,6Ghz, 1Gb
RAM, normal graphics. With expanded models, you can get more
cores+speed+ram, and better graphics cards. At a price, of course.

João