[PD-ot] subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

Michael Zacherl. sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info
Tue Aug 30 16:37:20 CEST 2011

Hi Peter,

On 25.8.2011, at 12:51 , Peter Plessas wrote:
> Michael Zacherl. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> in Weimar and Berlin I noticed quite a few people are using small laptops/netbooks.
>> I'm in the market for a netbook now and want to run linux w/ the usual suspects for experimental electronic music (Pure Data, SC, Ardour, Processing etc.)
>> Softwarewise Im currently looking at pure:dyne as the operating system.
> pure:dyne is a great project, but I recommend sticking to plain debian, due to its large user base. Afaik, pure:dyne is based on Debian anyway.

IIRC pure:dyne is a ubuntu derivate, which then again originates from Debian.
I didn't work with Linux for more than two years, so I'll need to have a thorough look at it anyway.
But I still do feel attracted to Debian and the like.

>> But I'm open to suggestions.
>> What would you recommend for the hardware?
>> Last time I checked some products was in 2009.
>> I suppose battery life has improved, CPUs became a tad faster and linux runs a bit smoother on such a thing.
>> What I really barely can cope with s the glossy screens, but I'm afraid there's no way around it.
> Some brands have alternatives, I think Lenovos do....

didn't find one so far at Lenovo's site.
It's pretty much just marketing info there, hard to find details.
I just came across the LG Xnote P210 which looks interesting but then again rather is a full Notebook just of small size and is priced accordingly.

>> I'm planning to connect a USB-audio interface, so Firewire is not an issue (which Jack has troubles with, IIRC).
>> Very nice to have would be a built in modem w/ Sim-card slot for mobile data transfer. (Linux supported of course).
> Try to find a laptop for music with a quiet fan.

yup!  My current 17" MBP  (which is not to be replaced!) can be pretty noisy.

Thanks,  Michael.

--
keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at
http://soundcloud.com/noiseconformist