[PD-ot] Raspberry Pi (was: Re: [PD] [OT] openstomp ... PD pedal?)

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 17:07:16 CET 2012

>> So what about a Raspberry Pi  inside a stompbox that runs pd?
>
>> But could the arm11 in that thing handle awesum (sic) audio processing? ;)
>

>Well the Raspberry Pi is based on an ARM chip. Does anyone know how these chips compare when running RJDJ or libPD applications?
>Perhaps this is a possibility, without too much modification of libPD or even RJDJ.
>
>...but someone would need to write a host for the Raspberry Pi.

> What do you need by "writing a host for Pd"? Something like a very simple OS?

Er..well I can see they run Linux, so I think I was mistaken. My head was in the world of BASIC - nostalgia gets in the way of the facts!
Of course, Pd would need to be compiled for the hardware.

I think we need to wait until one of us gets one and tries it out before we find out what they're capable of. I've expressed interest, but they're massively oversubscribed.
On the other hand, the idea of a dedicated PDOS isn't a bad idea...
Ed

Even if it was just the PD core, it would enhance the educational scope of the Raspberry Pi - which is the whole point of this single-board computer (I learned my first programming on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum in the 1980s).