[PD-ot] Record PCM output - ALSA - Rapsberry Pi

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 21:42:49 CET 2012

Hi,

I 've been searching the internet for two days and i couldn't find any
satisfying answer, so I thought I'd ask here...
I'm running PD on my Raspberry Pi, and I need to record Pd's output. I
can't use the standard writesf~ because I lack disk space, and oggwrite~
doesn't work well on the RPi (it records fine but Pd's output is trashed).

I recently discovered that i could record something in raw with ALSA using
arecord, and pipe this into oggenc, or flac, or whatever I need to record
the file. Something like:
arecord <parameters> raw | oggenc <parameter> file.ogg

The thing is that the RPi has no capture device (the single PCM doesn't
seem to be capable of capture).

A lot of things seem to be possible using a .asoundrc configuration file
for ALSA, but I don't know how to use it.
What I would want is to copy the PCM output so that ALSA can recognize this
copy as an input in a record. Note that I need to be able to listen to the
output while recording.

Do you thing this is possible at all?

Cheers,

Pierre.