[PD-ot] (no subject)

Skye Book skye.book at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 17:15:28 CET 2013

Nice to hear there’s a PD book :)

On Nov 19, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Antonio Roberts <antonio at hellocatfood.com> wrote:

>> Really sorry for my laziness. I just opened it and saw your name!!¬!
>> Listen, we're really grateful for your support. There aren't enough
>> books about Pure Data programming out there, and I'm sure my students
>> will find this really helpful.
> That's why I agreed to do it. I think there's plenty of resources out there for PD music/audio programming but none dedicated to just visuals. The book was a bit too basic for my needs, but it would've been invaluable to me three years ago!
>
> Also, no need to thank me, I didn't write it! Regardless, I'm glad that you/your students will find it useful. I'm glad the book now exists, I just wish Packt were clearer on the whole royalties situation.
>
>> Once again, I think the person you need to talk to is Hans
>> Cristoph-Steiner, but I am sure he'll read this thread.
> Hopefully he will. Packt do a lot of books about open source software so I'll be interested in hearing if those projects get royalties/support as well.

We’ve had some dealings with Packt for the jMonkeyEngine Beginners Guide [http://www.packtpub.com/jmonkeyengine-3-0-with-java-programming-beginners-guide/book] and have heard similar from them on contributing some royalties back to FOSS.  The offer seemed quite real, though I don’t know anything in terms of sales numbers or if we’ve had any money find its way back to the project. I’d be happy to throw the question to the author though..

We don’t have any sort of entity set up around jME so there was some discussion a while back about where that money should funnel as it would ultimately go towards hosting costs.