[Pdweb] Webpage Development Wiki and Collector

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 12 18:41:03 CEST 2003

Hallo,

> a blog would be much better for news and announcements since blog's
> are very good for promoting discussions.

Plone also does provide "Discussion" for (at least) News items, that
enable slashdot-like interaction focused on a certain, current topic.

> As for 'Exchange' I actually really like this idea.  I think it would
> be awesome to have an informal place to swap patches.  Finished patches
> should go into the CVS, but it would be great to have an exchange for
> works in progress, simple demonstrations, etc.

I also would like to encourage "Exchange". Maybe it doesn't have to
be a folder on its own, but more a kind of "item" in Plone like
another kind of News-item.

> I think that the Developer section is actually useful as something
> separate from downloads and docs.  I think that dev downloads and docs
> should be included in the downloads and docs sections respectively.
> The Developer section is all about who is doing what, how to join,
> etc., like is listed on the structure in the Wiki:
>
> 		- how to join the [SourceForge
> 		project|http://pure-data.sf.net]
> 		- list of current projects/developers
>
> I don't see this content fitting in elsewhere, except pure-data.sf.net,
> but I think that pure-data.org should be THE central site for all info.

But isn't this just developer information and thus does belong to
Doc->Dev ? And isn't every Pd user a developer, too (of patches)?

>  I think having this as a separate section highlights that pd is a very
> open system, and that _anyone_ can join in and contribute, whether it
> just be a couple objects, or more substantial work.  So the Developer
> section should be all about getting people to join the central project
> so that their objects become part of the central distros.

Well, maybe I'm beginning to see your point. So we have bascially two
target audiences: Pd users and Pd developers. Of course both groups
mix. In the interest of de-cluttering the navigation, how about moving
the "Members" entry in the tabs a stage deeper in favour of a
"Community" tab up front. Community could host Exchange, blog/forum,
list of Members, list of developers, of musicians using Pd,...?

I'm not decided on that, though.

ciao