[Pdweb] Webpage Development Wiki and Collector

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jun 12 21:48:56 CEST 2003

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 12:41 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>> I think that the Developer section is actually useful as something
>> separate from downloads and docs.  I think that dev downloads and docs
>> should be included in the downloads and docs sections respectively.
>> The Developer section is all about who is doing what, how to join,
>> etc., like is listed on the structure in the Wiki:
>>
>> 		- how to join the [SourceForge
>> 		project|http://pure-data.sf.net]
>> 		- list of current projects/developers
>>
>> I don't see this content fitting in elsewhere, except
>> pure-data.sf.net,
>> but I think that pure-data.org should be THE central site for all
>> info.
>
> But isn't this just developer information and thus does belong to
> Doc->Dev ? And isn't every Pd user a developer, too (of patches)?

>>  I think having this as a separate section highlights that pd is a
>> very
>> open system, and that _anyone_ can join in and contribute, whether it
>> just be a couple objects, or more substantial work.  So the Developer
>> section should be all about getting people to join the central project
>> so that their objects become part of the central distros.
>
> Well, maybe I'm beginning to see your point. So we have bascially two
> target audiences: Pd users and Pd developers. Of course both groups
> mix. In the interest of de-cluttering the navigation, how about moving
> the "Members" entry in the tabs a stage deeper in favour of a
> "Community" tab up front. Community could host Exchange, blog/forum,
> list of Members, list of developers, of musicians using Pd,...?

The "How to Join" could be under 'Docs', but I think it would be more
effective as its own section.  Every pd user is a developer, and I
think we should highlight that and encourage people to share their
code.  When code gets established, it would be great to have it in the
CVS, and that's why I think having a separate 'Development' or
'Developers' section would be useful.  We could fit this content
elsewhere, but I think we are making a statement: getting developers to
share their work is very important.

As for 'Community', it is a handy bucket to put those things in, but I
am wondering, if someone was looking for help, would they think to
click on the 'Community' link?  I originally thought that a 'Getting
Help' section should be there, but I guess it doesn't fit in.  But one
section that I think we can get rid of is 'About Pd'  I think it should
be under 'Docs'.