[Pdweb] puredata.org not working + domain names

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Fri Aug 27 10:24:20 CEST 2004

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 26. August 2004 15:02 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
> There is a strange error with the web site.  http://puredata.org causes
> a site error but http://www.puredata.org http://puredata.info
I could not get error. There was a server shut down yesterday because of a
power fail for some minutes so maybe restart it didnt work

> http://www.puredata.info http://pure-data.info and
> http://www.pure-data.info all work fine.
>

> This leads me to another question.  I think that we should choose one
> 'official' domain name, and all of the rest should redirect to that
> domain.  This is the way the pure-data.info domain is set up now, it
> redirects to puredata.info.  My vote is for puredata.org to be the
> official domain since its the closest to the original.

Here some facts for decision making:

- since puredata.org points to our server but we dont host the DNS, also with
pure-data.ino, we are not as flexible as with the puredata.info in case we
have to switch servers or do other services  on th domain with different
servers.

- Owners:
 puredata.org: A.A.J. van de Ven
 pure-data.info: Hans-Christoph Steiner

 puredata.info is ownd by iem
 pure-data.iem.at only a fall back domain owned by iem

 - sometimes  I want to use  the site as Manager and/or Member and/or
anonymous at the same time for testing, then I just use the different
domainnames, which

> These are all of the domains that I know of:
> puredata.org
> puredata.info
> pure-data.info
> pure-data.iem.at

- since we configured the Server with VirtualHostMonster everyone can map his
domainname on that server and it will be used in relative links, with
rewriting even to portions of the site. so different domainames should never
fail if they resolve the right way, so all of them are equal handled in zope.

I just thougt pure-data.info and puredata.info should be the same, but
puredata.org was not expected to point to the site since van de Ven was so
kind to check the domain for us., so we dont do rewriting.

But since nobody want to to some skin switching with domains we can do this.
 then all links will bookmark over puredata.org, but if anybody...

So I am open to anything except pure-data.iem.at should stay for debugging
reasons.

mfg winfried

> .hc

> ____
>
> "Information wants to be free."
>                               -Stewart Brand

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut fuer Elektronische Musik und Akustik
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171
- PGP-ID 69617A69 (see keyserver http://wwwkeys.at.gpg.net/)