[Pdweb] a list archive request...

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Oct 14 15:52:26 CEST 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 4:39 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> If you aren't sick of them yet, I've got an archive request:
>>
>> - would it be possible to search-and-replace on pure-data.org in all
>> the list archives and replace with puredata.org?
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> sed -i.bak -e 's/pure\-data\.org/puredata.org/g' pd-list.mbox
>>
>> and for pd-ot.mbox, pd-announce.mbox, and pd-dev.mbox
>>

> You mean online? No, please.
>
> It's an *archive*, not a collection of valid documentation that should
> be updated regularily.
>
> In 2001 pd.info was pd.org and not run by IEM. Changing this to pd.info
> would be wrong information.

I am all for leaving history intact, but I really think that this is
almost purely a technical issue, though it does feel strange to correct
archives.  I think replacing pure-data.org with puredata.org is such a
minor change, yet will provide a relatively large benefit, links in the
archive will work again, so I think its worth it.  Also, it wouldn't be
too hard to only make the change to emails later than the IEM site
launch, keeping historical info intact. But I can also understand
wanting to keep the archive "pure".

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli