[Pdweb] pure-data.info down

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 17 04:02:29 CET 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 2:38 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Zitiere Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>>
>> Browsers will throw an error if the URL doesn't match the certificate.
>
> i don't know whether you have noticed it, but it seems like it is
> working.
> the certificate is valid for both puredata.org and puredata.info
> without any
> errors on mozilla-based browsers.
> ie gave me some errors, but because of the self-certified nature of
> the cert and
> *not* because of the name
>
> it took me some time yesterday to make multiple names work
>

>> You can make test domains (something like pd1.iem.at, pd2.iem.at,
>> etc.)
>>
>> that don't redirect for your internal testing purposes, but the
>> published ones (*.puredata.info, *.pure-data.info, *.puredata.org)
>> should all redirect to https://puredata.org
>
> i really want multiple domeains because it enables me to log in
> multiple times
> as different users: this seems to be much about debugging but i got
> used to it
> (i think we have talked about this at the pd~con)

There are numerous ways you can do mulitple logins without affecting
normal users of the website.  For example, you can achieve the same
thing by running different browsers, and then it doesn't impact the
website users at all.  With IE, Mozilla, Firefox, Galeon, Konquerer,
Opera, Safari, Camino, etc. you should have plenty of simultaneous
logins.

Another option would be to make two separate <VirtualHost> entries in
httpd.conf.  One for the normal domain names (puredata.org,
pure-data.info, etc) which canonizes the name to puredata.org, and the
other for the extra test domains which does not canonize the domain
name.  Then you can make as many test domains as you want, pd1.iem.at,
pd2.iem.at, etc. etc. and the normal users of the website will be
unaffected.

.hc

>> I can help out with this if you want.
>
> thanks a lot.
> the only problem i can think of now is how to get a certificate from s
> "real"
> authority.
> but it is early in the morning

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
										-A.J. Muste