[Pdweb] pure-data.info down

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Nov 17 08:43:43 CET 2004

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> There are numerous ways you can do mulitple logins without affecting
> normal users of the website.  For example, you can achieve the same
> thing by running different browsers, and then it doesn't impact the
> website users at all.  With IE, Mozilla, Firefox, Galeon, Konquerer,
> Opera, Safari, Camino, etc. you should have plenty of simultaneous  logins.
>
> Another option would be to make two separate <VirtualHost> entries in
> httpd.conf.  One for the normal domain names (puredata.org,
> pure-data.info, etc) which canonizes the name to puredata.org, and the
> other for the extra test domains which does not canonize the domain
> name.  Then you can make as many test domains as you want, pd1.iem.at,
> pd2.iem.at, etc. etc. and the normal users of the website will be
> unaffected.

i mean, sorry, what is the whole point of it ?

the only thing that would change is to have one canonical name
"puredata.org" instead of several ones (we are talking about 2 or 3 not
10 or 20)
why is this so important to you ? what makes live easier (except for
me!) if we have only 1 name ?

personally i think .info domains are clumsy and thus i prefer .org
but: puredata.org is owned my someone whom i do not know at all! just
because he is kind and gives it to us for free does not mean this will
stay so.
what if the domain-registration (by some unlucky events) ends again ?
(true, most people use puredata.org now (just a wild guess) and they
will have the same problems then)

please clarify the need to have one and only one domain-name

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes