[Pdweb] mailing-list migration....

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Apr 1 14:54:55 CEST 2005

i have decided to migrate the pd-related mailinglists to a separate
server (in fact: to puredata.info):

a) usability: migration includes upgrading from Mailman-2.0.11 to
Mailman-2.1.5;

a1) the new version is far more powerful (e.g. we can use spamfilters
like spamassassin to open lists (like pd-announce) to anyone but spammers)

a2) users have more control of their account (e.g. they can individually
turn off monthly password reminders)

a3) everything is better

b) performance: the new server is faster; additionally i hope to release
our (that's: the iem's) other mail-services a bit.

c) sooner or later i would like to bridge the mailing-lists and
zope-groups (e.g. people with an account at puredata.info will
automatically be subscribed to the pd-list; probably share passwords
between plone/mailman)

the migration should be totally transparent

caveats: it is a migration and although i have tested it, we will see
how well it will work.

side-effects: the mailing-list archives will move to lists.puredata.info
(and will be rebuilt)

planned route:
i will migrate the low-traffic lists "pdweb", "pd-ot", "pd-announce" and
"gem-dev" today.
if no problems occur, i will migrate "pd-dev" and "pd-list" in the
course of next week.

please keep me informed of unexpected behaviour.

mfg.as.dr
IOhannes