[Pdweb] taking over pure-data.info

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 9 16:52:32 CET 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 4:45 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So pure-data.info is about to expire in April.  Does IEM have any
>> interest in taking it over?
>
> yes, we are definitely interested in taking it over (took some time to
> find out...)
>

> one related question:
>  could http://pure-data.org be sued for something like "phishing"?
> (no "phishing" is the wrong word; but it's kind of like...)
> obviously this page is trying to fake a pure-data related site, but
> constantly fools the user by not providing what they are looking for.
> (otoh, the page is not "harmful", just frustrating).
>
> i think there have been several cases in austria, where this kind of
> domain-grabbing (with faked content) ended up by taking away the
> domain from the grabbers and giving it to the "legitimate" owners.
>
> or are there any chances that we might ban them from using words like
> "Gem" in this context? (i don't think we would have any chance in
> banning "windows installer"...)

In the U.S. "pure-data" would have to be a registered trademark of some
sort in order for us to sue them AFAIK.  I think .org would be covered
by U.S. laws and ICANN rules, whatever they are.  ICANN rules might get
us somewhere.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
                                               -David Zicarelli