[Pdweb] test releases page causes out of memory errors

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Apr 18 11:27:28 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I am using this page for the test releases of Pd:
>
> http://puredata.org/Members/hans/downloads/installers
>
> But it frequently runs into out-of-memory errors, while the rest of  the
> site works fine.  My guess is that plone is trying to read all of  the
> files in that folder, and dies because they are large.
>
> Is there a way to disable this so that the folder always just gives a
> basic listing of files?  Otherwise, I'll have to move the test  releases
> elsewhere.

well, your installers directory is about 700MB large by now (considering
that the entire puredata.info site is 1.8GB large, that is almost half
of the database).

i guess the simplest solution would be to create a subdirectory for each
major release (pd-ext-0.38-4, pd-ext-0.39-2,...) and use topics to make
a site where there is a list of all of them (if this is necessary at
all: most likely it is rather confusing for people who want to download
pd-extended if they have to first search a list of >30 files until they
find what they are looking for)
it would also be nice to have a link to the "current" (stable) release.

apart from that, why not use sourceforge for such tasks? they have
world-wide mirrors which might get some download speed...

anyhow, i have restarted the site (it kept swapping, which is a speed
eater) and packed the database which should keep us going again...

mfga.sdr.
IOhannes