[Pdweb] reStructured Text font is tiny

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon May 29 13:16:51 CEST 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >The syntax is horrid when trying to include code.  It was interpreting
> >all of the *'s in the functions (char *, etc).  Actually, I'd much
>
> oh, does it? this is bad.

Quoting the reST reference:

For example, none of the following are recognized as containing inline markup
start-strings:

    * asterisks: * "*" '*' (*) (* [*] {*} 1*x BOM32_*
    * double asterisks: ** a**b O(N**2) etc.
    * backquotes: ` `` etc.
    * underscores: _ __ __init__ __init__() etc.
    * vertical bars: | || etc.

It may be desirable to use inline literals for some of these anyhow, especially
if they represent code snippets. It's a judgment call.

These cases do require either literal-quoting or escaping to avoid misinterpretation:

*4, class_, *args, **kwargs, `TeX-quoted', *ML, *.txt

The inline markup recognition rules were devised intentionally to allow 90% of
non-markup uses of "*", "`", "_", and "|" without resorting to backslashes. For
9 of the remaining 10%, use inline literals or literal blocks:

"``\*``" -> "\*" (possibly in another font or quoted)

Only those who understand the escaping and inline markup rules should attempt
the remaining 1%. ;-)

> however, i usually use single quotes (ST) to get 'code' and it works
> pretty well.

"Until you want to quote 'something' with single quotes."

Ciao