[Pdweb] reStructured Text font is tiny

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 29 17:28:43 CEST 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> The syntax is horrid when trying to include code.  It was
>> interpreting all of the *'s in the functions (char *, etc).
>
> Well, it was interpreting all * because a * is an inline markup
> element in reST to do e.g. **bold**. If one prefers <b>bold like
> this</b>, one should not use reST but HTML.
>
> You could either use ``inline literals`` or convert all code to
> literal blocks.
>
> A literal block is an indented block after a paragraph that ends
> with a
> double colon like this one does::
>
>   Nothing easier
>     than formatting
>       code like this.
>
> You can also use a lone double colon.
>
> ::
>
>     void(*code)
>     {
>         block;
>     }
>
> I made the conversion on http://puredata.org/docs/developer/PdAPI, so
> you can see the result. It also fixed the font size issue.

Yeah, I tried that, but its a lot of work for a simple formatting.
Plus I want to be able to have a function name, then the plain text
description, like the Externals HOWTO.  This syntax makes it a lot of
work to do that.

ST is a pain to edit in the web form because you always have to
indent everything manually.  I gotta say both of these syntaxes were
not designed well to be edited within a text form.  Mediawiki style
is much better for that.  But I can edit ST pretty well in python-
mode in Emacs.  Alas, so much for quick edits...

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!