[Pdweb] please put the dev docs back

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 26 12:26:43 CEST 2006

hi

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I just noticed that the developer docs on puredata.org were moved to the
> "developer" section.  Please put them back where they were, that is
> where they belong.  The "developer" section is not for documentation,
> the documentation section is.  That has been long since established.
>
> Also, there are many, many links out there that point to the old
> location for the developer docs.
>
> Lastly, please consult this list before making such drastic changes to
> the website.  I've put a lot of work into that section, so you could
> have at least asked.

i admit it was really bad practice, esp. not to ask.

but before i put this back, could we clarify:
why is "documentation" the place where it belongs? or: what makes the
"developer" section less "the right place"?

the thing i currently see is, that there are 2 branches /dev and
/doc/dev which both hold documentation about development.

information is surely to be in the directory where you are currently not
looking, since it is unclear, where it should be. (and i am not the only
one who feels like this).

after all, the /dev section IS "documentation about development", and
not "development" itself.

so in theory(!) i see no reason to have 2 separate branches with the
same topic but different content.

however, you are completely right: in practice there are external links
pointing to the old & deprecated location, which must be handled.
the good thing is, that this could be handled very easily: i can set up
a rewrite rule on the webserver, so that http://puredata.org/doc/dev is
automatically redirected to http://puredata.org/dev which should make
all the links valid again.

and finally: please use relative linking whenever possible.
there is really no point in linking from http://puredata.org/bi/ba to
"https://www.puredata.info/bi/borg" when "borg" would have done the same.

mfga.dsr
IOhannes

why i didn't ask? because we are really bad at decision-making. most
discussions stop at the point where "everybody" (this is: you, me,
probably a single 3rd person) has clarified their poisition.