[Pdweb] please put the dev docs back

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Sep 29 02:52:49 CEST 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2006, at 3:57 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Put the site back the way it was.  You have broken days and days
>>> of my work without even the courtesy of asking.  Once the site is
>>> back to the original, then we can talk about new ideas.
>>> So this is how you repay me?  I spent many, many hours getting Gem
>>
>> no this is not how i _repay_ you.
>> this is not connected anyhow to your very valuable work.
>>
>>> working on the auto-builders and you fuck up my work?  That is
>>> really, really low.  I was holding on to the pure-data.info
>>> because I feared
>>
>> i don't understand what this would have changed in the short term
>> (of course the domains could have split after some time of
>> discrepancy)
>>
>>> courage to admit you were wrong and set things right.  You're
>>> still fighting.  This is a ridiculous and massive waste of time
>>> and energy.
>>
>> currently it works as before (all the links are still valid,
>> though redirected to /dev)
>> i will change it today.
>
> Thank you for putting it back, but its not all back yet.  There are
> now copies of all the pages in /dev also:
>
> https://puredata.org/dev/folder_contents
>
> That is quite dangerous as people might edit both, then we will
> lose work.  Also, I had to put back the original index page on /
> docs/developer
>
> Sorry for freaking out, but I have put so much time in that stuff,
> and its not fun work.  I am just getting to the point where I can
> wrap things up and get on to some interesting work, then this all
> happened.  I needed to get releases out for Koray's upcoming
> workshop, and some other people are counting on a new release, but
> instead I spent way too long dealing with all this.

I forgot to add that I am not opposed to the website being changed,
and I certainly always like contributors and want to encourage that.
But I just don't want the rug yanked out from under me, especially
when I need it most.

I think the architecture of the site could be improved, but I think
its totally useable the way it is now, and I really don't want to put
much effort into it.  I think to do it right, we'd have to look at
the content we have as a whole.  Personally, I think the Pd community
would be best of with a wiki site, for the docs at least, with some
other additions.