[Pdweb] pd blog

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 2 22:01:01 CET 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Steffen wrote:

> On 30/11/2006, at 20.56, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I think the default page shouldn't be static, but something more
>> interesting and dynamic, like the "news" page.  "news" might not
>> be the best term for it.  But I suppose if we just start posting
>> works on the news page, and make it easy for anyone to do so, then
>> people will do it.
>
> I was thinking somewhat the same regarding bloging on the website,
> since it could give the site more life. I also agree that the front
> page shouldn't be static and the same as the About page.
>
> If it could be implemented in Plone, fine. An alternative would be
> that folks could add to a rss feed or that the website could kind
> of assemble a set of personal rss feeds.
>
>> Or it could be curated if someone wants to curate that page.
>
> Then the example "showcase" would be superfluous. It might be
> anyways, if the blog-idea is realized.
>
> The good thing (tm) regarding makeing it blog'ish is that people
> will actively do something to make the site live since it will
> display there work. The bad thing is that it no doubt will be a
> mess in some sense. Even if there were made a detailed guideline
> for what a post ideally would consist of (fx documentation of some
> sort given the kind of content) it would not last if not actively
> moderated by some one or some "group". However, that "mess" might
> be a good price for activity, hence promotion, on the site.

I think a moderator would be good.  It could be something like guest
curator for the site.  We could just have slots for guest curator,
like monthly, then anyone can sign up for a slot via a web interface,
but you can only curator, say once a year, depending on demand.

The Share group in NYC (http://share.dj) has one time slot for a
concert each week.  Anyone can sign up for it on the website.  It
works well for them.