[Pdweb] pd blog

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 4 02:53:50 CET 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Steffen wrote:

> On 02/12/2006, at 22.01, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Steffen wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> The good thing (tm) regarding makeing it blog'ish is that people
>>> will actively do something to make the site live since it will
>>> display there work. The bad thing is that it no doubt will be a
>>> mess in some sense. Even if there were made a detailed guideline
>>> for what a post ideally would consist of (fx documentation of
>>> some sort given the kind of content) it would not last if not
>>> actively moderated by some one or some "group". However, that
>>> "mess" might  be a good price for activity, hence promotion, on
>>> the site.
>>
>> I think a moderator would be good.  It could be something like
>> guest curator for the site.  We could just have slots for guest
>> curator, like monthly, then anyone can sign up for a slot via a
>> web interface, but you can only curator, say once a year,
>> depending on demand.
>
> I'm all with you regarding the signing up for 'the job' though a
> web interface. And it could easily be a wiki-page with time slots
> ready to be filled.
>
> We'll just have to find out what 'the job' is and if it's a good
> job, so to speak. There is a few boll in the air right now, and
> some of them i don't think will work too well, ie. being a good
> job, and other balls i don't think work together.
>
> As i see/read it there is:
> 1a) An example section that is periodically chancing (fx monthly)
> an curated per slot.
> 1b) Mouch like 1a) but more in the blog format, such that it like
> having a new blogger presetting Pd work/art each period slot.
> 2) A news section as it is now, i.e. free for all to add to and not
> moderated.
> 3) A blog section presenting Pd work/art free for all to ad to,
> like the current news section.
> 4) A moderated version if 3) with periodically (fx monthly)
> chancing moderators/curators
> 5) A merge of 2) and 3) renaming it to something appropriate.
>
> I think 5) could work, but both 2) and 3) will be messing up the
> front page, making it confusing to digest for the arbitrary reader
> (suggestion to fix that below).
>
> I think 4) will be a "bad job", since it will rely on people to
> post before the post can be moderated. In fact i think i will be a
> "bad job" for both the poster and the moderator: The poster will
> properly have either to change part of the content or the moderator
> will have to change it. The moderator don't really earn any respect
> from the community by being the buggy man/women, and it will
> properly be dissatisfactory to have such little influence on what
> that will be posted  - it will be more like being a clerk in the Pd
> store.
>
> I like 1a) or 1b) the best, and think it could go with 2). Qua it
> being satisfactory It will be a "good job". If combined with 2) the
> [...]

I am fine with any of the above.  But I think it would be nice to
have a "curator".  That gives it a different feel than self-
promotion.  We all have our websites and member pages for self-
promotion ;).  How that curator handles submissions would be up to
them.  So not so much a "moderator" necessarily, but really a "curator".

As for column layout, less columns sounds good to me if the nav menus
are still usable.

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson