[Pdweb] Re: [pd] a simple, user friendly place to post and link to patches, externals, libraries, etc.

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Thu Dec 14 18:52:36 CET 2006

On 06/12/2006, at 4.46, Chris McCormick wrote:

> So maybe rather than, or as well as a 'curated' Pd website, we
> could have
> some kind of a web log/rss feed anybody can easily post patches and
> tunes,
> and others can easily follow the action by subscribing to the feed or
> visiting the website often. We could even have this content CC'ed to a
> special high-attachment-volume mailing list that people could
> subscribe
> to if they prefer to receive this kind of thing by mail.

I think this sums up the current attitude quite well. There are two
essentially different balls in the air***:

1) a curated section following a fitting set of form "rules"
2) a steam of all things Pd properly also having a certain form

> What do you think, Steffen? How hard would it be to knock this into
> the existing
> Plone framework, or should it be started as a separate site?

This is the key: I don't know plone. I just have ideas like anyone.
But both ideas can be, in it's basics anyway, be realized in the
given settings of puredata.info. Indeed 2) is already running and
have been for a while at the art/tracks/patches wiki pages. 1) would
be fairly easy to initialize since most of it is to find the fitting
form and start doing it (and taking over parts of* the frontpage for
it).

So what if we actually just did it - in what ever form we can manages
to do - now? That is, i (and/or who ever wants to) try to work out a
more detailed form of the curated section, and those who want to
bring new life to the wiki pages with focus on sharing Pd work do
that**?

* saving bits like the news section. I've suggested different
settings in the 'pd blog' thread.

** fx merge the three wikipages if that fit better with your ideas.
Writing some guide lines for how to sub things, i fx thinks it would
be a good idea to keep some kind of sections (tunes, patches, video,
abstractions, etc).

*** Then there is graphical re-designing and re-structuring/writing
of texts/pages as proposed a wee while ago...