[Pdweb] Proposal wrt. guide new users with silk gloves

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Wed Feb 28 23:55:26 CET 2007

On 28/02/2007, at 6.23, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I'd like to see the site simplified,

IOhannes wrote:

"we should find a consensus about this before i open the page."

And this consensus haven't happened, so i guess it's hard to do much
about it as is. It might be possible to write up suggestions in ones
user area first, then ask if it's ok, and then it can get into the
intended place on the site by someone with the sufficient write
privileges?

> and have a curated exhibition section.

If someone with sufficient privileges will set up a folder for it,
where i/we can add wiki pages i'd give it a push. It could be /
exhibition or /showroom or /gallery or slash-something-else. I'm not
picky. It could also be in /community/projects, but i think thats
hiding it away too much.

In that folder, i'd create
- a wiki page ./about with some general info about what the
exhibition/showroom/gallery is about.
- a wiki page ./organization or something like wise to use for
organizing it. Describing the procedure, what information and meta
information there need be in each "issue"/"volume"/exhibition and
organizing who'll curate when.
- a wiki page ./archive with links to the past exhibitions.

Then all exhibitions, if i can decide, will have a wiki page each,
named ./vol<number> or ./issue<number>. I think doing it this way is
better then being monthly or bi-monthly, since then it can be
sometimes monthly and some times bi-monthly - or what ever - without
looking silly.

Apropos duration. I don't think an exhibition should laster less then
a month. It's not to make it dull, but to give time to something
serious to emerge. Separating it from the casual blog-sphere. In
other words to give the curators time to make something interesting
out of it, to increase quality!

The, say,  /exhibition will point to the latest exhibition.

It would be good if a coming curator could be able to plan ahead and
start making the wiki page before it goes "on air", hence some
management in that direction would be needed. I don't know if one can
just manually set the ./exhibition thing to point to a given wiki
page, that might be the easiest  way to realize both the archive, the
pointer to the current exhibition and give coming curators the
possibility to plan ahead. This also mean that the dir-listing that
happens in the menu should be turned off for this folder or at least
that future/planed exhibitions should be invisible.

When it's set up and ready for action i could send a few PR emails.
For example to Create Digital Music, .microsound-announce, Pd-
announce and what have we. From then it could be organized though the
wiki and this list.

What do you all think?
How would curate?
Can write access to a place like that be given?