[Pdweb] Proposal wrt. guide new users with silk gloves

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 1 03:48:02 CET 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Steffen wrote:

> On 28/02/2007, at 6.23, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see the site simplified,
>
> IOhannes wrote:
>
> "we should find a consensus about this before i open the page."
>
> And this consensus haven't happened, so i guess it's hard to do
> much about it as is. It might be possible to write up suggestions
> in ones user area first, then ask if it's ok, and then it can get
> into the intended place on the site by someone with the sufficient
> write privileges?

Well, we generally work by lazy consensus, meaning post a proposal,
wait a week, if there are no objections, it's approved.

>> and have a curated exhibition section.
>
> If someone with sufficient privileges will set up a folder for it,
> where i/we can add wiki pages i'd give it a push. It could be /
> exhibition or /showroom or /gallery or slash-something-else. I'm
> not picky. It could also be in /community/projects, but i think
> thats hiding it away too much.
>
> In that folder, i'd create
> - a wiki page ./about with some general info about what the
> exhibition/showroom/gallery is about.
> - a wiki page ./organization or something like wise to use for
> organizing it. Describing the procedure, what information and meta
> information there need be in each "issue"/"volume"/exhibition and
> organizing who'll curate when.
> - a wiki page ./archive with links to the past exhibitions.
>
> Then all exhibitions, if i can decide, will have a wiki page each,
> named ./vol<number> or ./issue<number>. I think doing it this way
> is better then being monthly or bi-monthly, since then it can be
> sometimes monthly and some times bi-monthly - or what ever -
> without looking silly.
>
> Apropos duration. I don't think an exhibition should laster less
> then a month. It's not to make it dull, but to give time to
> something serious to emerge. Separating it from the casual blog-
> sphere. In other words to give the curators time to make something
> interesting out of it, to increase quality!
>
> The, say,  /exhibition will point to the latest exhibition.
>
> It would be good if a coming curator could be able to plan ahead
> and start making the wiki page before it goes "on air", hence some
> management in that direction would be needed. I don't know if one
> can just manually set the ./exhibition thing to point to a given
> wiki page, that might be the easiest  way to realize both the
> archive, the pointer to the current exhibition and give coming
> curators the possibility to plan ahead. This also mean that the dir-
> listing that happens in the menu should be turned off for this
> folder or at least that future/planed exhibitions should be invisible.

A curator-to-be could build the wiki pages in their home folder, then
they would be moved into the exhibition when the time comes.

> When it's set up and ready for action i could send a few PR emails.
> For example to Create Digital Music, .microsound-announce, Pd-
> announce and what have we. From then it could be organized though
> the wiki and this list.
>
> What do you all think?
> How would curate?
> Can write access to a place like that be given?

I like this proposal a lot as it is now.  I'd say it's a done deal in
my book.  I would just take this email, maybe edit it a bit, and post
it to this list as it's own distinct email with a header that
highlights that it's a proposal to be accepted or rejected.  Then we
can wait several days, if there are no objections, do it.

I do have some minor additions:

- curators cannot post their own work
- people add themselves to curator slots (wiki page or whatever)
- if curator slots are filled very far in advance, we change the
system then

And just to be clear, there should be one "official" overarching
manager/moderator for the exhibition pages to set up the current
pages, manage other questions, etc.  I'll do this if no one else
wants to, but it sounds like you are on it, Steffen.

This sounds very good, it's about time we did this!

publicity.          - Bill Moyers