[Pdweb] Proposal wrt. guide new users with silk gloves

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 8 07:15:06 CET 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Steffen wrote:

> On 01/03/2007, at 3.48, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> If someone with sufficient privileges will set up a folder for
>>> it, where i/we can add wiki pages i'd give it a push. It could
>>> be /exhibition or /showroom or /gallery or slash-something-else.
>>> I'm not picky. It could also be in /community/projects, but i
>>> think thats hiding it away too much.
>>>
>>> In that folder, i'd create
>>> - a wiki page ./about with some general info about what the
>>> exhibition/showroom/gallery is about.
>>> - a wiki page ./organization or something like wise to use for
>>> organizing it. Describing the procedure, what information and
>>> meta information there need be in each "issue"/"volume"/
>>> exhibition and organizing who'll curate when.
>>> - a wiki page ./archive with links to the past exhibitions.
>>>
>>> Then all exhibitions, if i can decide, will have a wiki page
>>> each, named ./vol<number> or ./issue<number>. I think doing it
>>> this way is better then being monthly or bi-monthly, since then
>>> it can be sometimes monthly and some times bi-monthly - or what
>>> ever - without looking silly.
>>>
>>> Apropos duration. I don't think an exhibition should laster less
>>> then a month. It's not to make it dull, but to give time to
>>> something serious to emerge. Separating it from the casual blog-
>>> sphere. In other words to give the curators time to make
>>> something interesting out of it, to increase quality!
>>>
>>> The, say,  /exhibition will point to the latest exhibition.
>>>
>>> It would be good if a coming curator could be able to plan ahead
>>> and start making the wiki page before it goes "on air", hence
>>> some management in that direction would be needed. I don't know
>>> if one can just manually set the ./exhibition thing to point to a
>>> given wiki page, that might be the easiest  way to realize both
>>> the archive, the pointer to the current exhibition and give
>>> coming curators the possibility to plan ahead. This also mean
>>> that the dir-listing that happens in the menu should be turned
>>> off for this folder or at least that future/planed exhibitions
>>> should be invisible.
>>
>> A curator-to-be could build the wiki pages in their home folder,
>> then they would be moved into the exhibition when the time comes.
>
> That could be a solution, if it's not hard to move stuff about.
>
> Also, today i tried to make a wiki page in my home folder, but it
> did not work. Now it just sits there, and i can't even delete it. I
> tried to make a folder in my home folder, but got much like the
> same error as when one in general tries to make a new wiki page.
> Hence there are some problems as is.

Seems like the permissions for the site are a bit askew.  It should
be possible for people to create wiki pages.

> [...]
>>> organized though the wiki and this list.
>>>
>>> What do you all think?
>>> How would curate?
>>> Can write access to a place like that be given?
>>
>> I like this proposal a lot as it is now.  I'd say it's a done deal
>> in my book.
>
> I'm very happy about that.
>
>> I would just take this email, maybe edit it a bit, and post it to
>> this list as it's own distinct email with a header that highlights
>> that it's a proposal to be accepted or rejected.  Then we can wait
>> several days, if there are no objections, do it.
>
> Ok. I will do that. But first i think it would be good to line out
> and discuss the details. At first i was thinking that it could have
> been done in a wiki page, but we can do it here instead. I'll
> collect everything to be put in a final proposal for the exhibition
> part. Then the relevant wiki pages and folders could be made by
> someone with write privileges.

>> I do have some minor additions:
>>
>> - curators cannot post their own work
>> - people add themselves to curator slots (wiki page or whatever)
>> - if curator slots are filled very far in advance, we change the
>> system then
>
> Good points. The first is really about the form of each exhibition.
> I think the form should be as free as possible, such that curators
> can have there own still, even it can seam incoherent to some
> visitors. But still i think a minimum set of details should be in
> each exhibition. Here is a sketch:
>
> - Some kind of header and footer. It could be very simple. The
> header could be just something like "Pd exhibition vol. <number>",
> and the footer could be simple information about the curator.
>
> - Every thing in between is the exhibition.
>
> - There should be no limit to the number of works in each
> exhibition. But my guess is that the range one to three would be
> fitting. Of cause less then one doesn't make sense. The reason i
> think more then three will be less fitting, is that i fear that the
> it will be less deep and less serious with too many pieces of
> work.  Of cause, if it is a exhibition with a theme, like say
> samplers, it might make sense to the curator to give a serious and
> detailed presentation of the theme and then present quite a few
> works. This is just thoughts.
>
> - For each piece the source should be available either at the
> exhibition site or liked to off site. I don't think it should be a
> must, but it definitely should be opted for!
>
> - Also, proprietary media formats should not be used.
>
> - formal Info on the artist should be supplied. At least a name and
> some sort of contact info or relation should be provided. The later
> could be a website url or organization name or band name or likewise.
>
> - Description/presentation of the artist should be supplied. A
> roule of thump could be, that the less numbers of diffrent artist
> (per exhibition) the more detailed presentation of the artist(s)

All good points.

> A few other practical things that would be good to have sorted:
>
> - Can we settle on simply calling it "exhibition" and placing the
> "public" part in ./exhibition/ ?

Works for me.

> - Can we make certain wiki pages folders only readable for site
> users? I'm thinking that the organizing bit, the curator plan and
> the guideline for each exhibition, should not be directly public. I
> don't think we should do a lot to prevent people from seeing it,
> just not place it right next to the actual exhibition. So either
> make that bit only visible for site users, or just place it in ./
> community/projects/exhibition/ instead of in ./exhibition/? The
> organizing bit need only two wiki pages, one for the info/planing
> stuff and one template wiki.

Should be possible, but I don't see the reason to hide content at
all.  It does make sense to have things in different places tho.

> - To sum up; in the ./exhibition folder there will then be: An
> archive wiki with links to vol-<number> wiki's and an about wiki.
> The root of ./exhibition will still point to the current
> exhibition, ie. the newest.

Sounds good.

> - But, i'm not sure what to do with files like source- and media
> files. Should they reside just in the ./exhibition folder or in a
> dedicated files folder (./exhibition/files/) or should there be one
> files folder per exhibition? I think the later is too much trouble,
> and the fist might be a mess. So if a files folder can be made
> invisible in the menu, that would be best, i think.

Probably one folder per exhibit/curator would work best.

Woo hoo, sounds like a plan!

.hc