[Pdweb] soft and hard ways (was Re: Exhibition Update)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 11 16:32:10 CEST 2007

Steffen wrote:

>> making to links appear the same is a bit more tricky. to repeat my
>> last
>> emails there are basically to ways to do it:
>> - the simple way: make a prominent link (e.g. an "exhibition" tab) on
>> the main-page that really points to the current exhibition.
>> - the harder way: make an equivalent of a symbolic link (this is: the
>> /exhibition IS the current /exhibition)
>>
>> btw, making a _WikiPage_ ./exhbition/vol-# to be the default
>> instead of
>> ./exhbition/FrontPage is really rather simple.
>
> What is the difference between that "rather simple" way and the
> "harder way"? I don't see it. The simple way i think is to choose the
> "display -> Change the item used as default view in this folder"? But
> choosing that leaves me with nothing to choose between, as mentioned
> before. I get: "There are no items in this folder that can be
> selected as a default view page."

well, both ways would require interaction from a person who knows a bit
plone.
the "simple" way requires to add WikiPages to the objects that can be
selected as "default view" (currently they are not; this is why you
cannot add them); it is not a big deal

the "harder" way requires the installation of a "product" (aka
"external") which itself is  totally simple; however on the long run, i
think it is better to keep the number of external dependencies as low as
possible.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes