[Pdweb] why wiki sucks (was Re: Exhibition Update)

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Wed Apr 11 17:26:32 CEST 2007

On 11/04/2007, at 16.35, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Steffen wrote:
>>> one problem is, that WikiPages are outside of the standard workflow
>>> (you
>>> cannot set them "private" or "published");
>>> i do not see a real reason why the exhibition should be based on
>>> WikiPages (there are 3 main features of WikiPages over ordinary
>>> 'documents': "everybody" can edit (not a real _feature_
>>> considered we
>>> are talking about a curated exhibition), easy markup language
>>> (but you
>>> can use StructuredText in ordinary documents as well) and easy
>>> subpage
>>> creation (not relevant if each exhibition is restricted to one
>>> singe page)
>>
>> That is true. However, the wiki pages are already not displyed in the
>> menu as all non folders or smart folders don't get into the menu.
>>
>> Also the documentation and organization part need be wiki such that
>> all can alter and add to them. So those bits don't get into the menu
>> as "viable for for members only" anyways?
>
> well it is totally possible to open up normal documents to be editable
> by everybody (or members only).

I see. Does that complicate the project work-flow? The schedule for
one is to be editable for all members of the site such that every one
can add them self.

> but i do not oppose to putting the docs and orga stuff into WikiPages.

I know, but to make the docs+orga stuff "visible for members only",
they are to be non-WikiPages, if I understand what you wrote above
right.

> it is only that i feel that there is no necessity for the
> exhibitions to
> be Wiki.

You are totally right. They need not be WikiPages. They just need to
be something plone'ish such that they can be displayed though the
site. It's just that thought that was how things worked (suspect for
the system thinking, bummer).