[Pdweb] Exhibition Update

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Wed Apr 11 20:07:36 CEST 2007

On 11/04/2007, at 17.45, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Steffen wrote:
>>
>> A sketch of how it would be then. This is what i would like, if the
>> org+docs are to be in the same folder as the exhibition (ie in /
>> exhibition).
>>
>> Some files are subject to change as mentioned in the update email. It
>> is generated by 'tree'. The dots are therefor the usual hidden for
>> normal 'ls'. Hence used here as a metaphor for "public" and "visible
>> for members only". The vol-# should however not take up space in the
>> menu. Thats what's the archive is for. The archive makes sure only
>> old, hence not to-be, exhibitions are on display. And can hold
>> descriptive information (think program notes).
>>
>> exhibition/
>> |-- .files/
>> |   |-- vol-1/
>> |   |-- vol-2/
>> |   `-- vol-3/
>> |-- .organizing
>> |-- .schedule
>> |-- .template
>> |-- about
>> |-- archive
>> |-- submission
>> |-- vol-1
>> |-- vol-2
>> `-- vol-3
>>
>> Does it makes sense?
>

> hmm, how about this:
>
> ./community/projects/exhibition/
> |-- *about
> |-- submission
> |
> |-- .organizing/
> |   |-- *
> |   |-- schedule
> |   |-- template
> |
> |-- vol-1/
> |  |-- *
> |  |-- files,...
> |
> |-- vol-2/
> |-- ....
> |-- .vol-N/
>
> ./exhbition --> links directly to ./comm/proj/exh/vol-2 (current)
>

> this has following goodies:
> - organising the exhibitions in folders (vol-#/) rather than pages
> (vol-#) plus folders (.files/vol-#) makes each exhibition self
> contained.
> - ./comm/proj/exh/ is automatically the archive for all (past)
> exhibitions
> - ./exhibition/ is CLOSE to the portal root; going into the
> ./exhibition/ gets you directly to the current exhition; the "archive"
> is visible in the side-menu
>

> does this make sense?

It does. I suspect that the bare * is equivalent to *FrontPage.

I like the goodies too, so i think it should be tried out.

There is also a less positive goodie, namely that, if it flops and
there is only, say, one or two exhibitions made, then the link from
the link from 'close to the portal root' can be deleted without
touching the exhibition at all. The exhibition can then continue it's
silent life in sleep till waken again without casting shame to the
portal. I of cause don't hope that to happen. And it might even be
that only few exhibitions deserves the attention. But a "plan b" is
then sought for.

mvh steffen