[Pdweb] Public Draft (Was:Re: Exhibition Update)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 7 05:06:43 CEST 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 6:13 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Steffen wrote:

>>> As said earlier it does.
>>>
>>> But i'm concerned about the state 'public draft' though. That is, to
>>> make it into 'visible for (logged in) members only'. The reason it
>>> seam used "incorrect" quite a number of places on the site, which
>>> means that making that move might cause trouble?
>>
>> ok.
>>
>> you are right that the portal is currently not in the state for this,
>> mostly because all newly created content is automatically in state
>> "public draft" and automatically visible for everybody.
>>
>> with your consenus i'd like to:
>> - change all content currently in state "public draft" to be
>> "published"
>> - change the default state to "published" (so new content is
>> automatically visible for anybody)
>> - make the "public drafts" to be viewable by members only (and
>> probably
>> rename it to "members only")
>>

>> is that ok?
>

> just to add: it is not a very big deal to change all the content from
> "public draft" to "published".
> people used "public drafts" because they were not aware that they
> could
> change it in the first place (i suspect); and it was visible for
> everybody, so they just left it in this state.
>
> additionally, i believe, that there is no point in using an elaborated
> workflow like moderators, who can "publish" stuff that is in state
> "pending" (a transitional state between "public draft/visible" and
> "published").
>
> all in all i'd say:
> 3 states are ok:
>  - published (everyone can see)
>  - visible (only members can see)
>  - private (only owner can see)
>
> the default state should be "published"
>

> the owner of an object should be able to change between states
> (without
> the need for a moderator); administrators are able to change the
> states
> too; probably another group ("moderators") could be made able to
> change
> the state too, but i think this would be an overkill.
>

> people should be able to edit stuff even if it is already published (i
> think this currently does not work as expected; you would have to make
> the object "visible" before being able to edit it; this is ok for
> complicated companies where someone has to censor all the content, i
> don't think it is needed on the pd-portal)
>

> if all of the above was true, then i think nobody would really notice
> the difference (apart from the fact, that more links would be blue
> instead of green...), so no harm would be done.

Personally, I think it should be wiki like, meaning only one "state":
published.  For something that is a work in progress, it can just be
called something else, then renamed to the final name.  I think that
would be the easiest way to setup the way most people use the site.

That's my two bits...

.hc