[Pdweb] a place for ... GEM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jun 10 12:47:02 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Steffen wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2007, at 17.27, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>>> i am thinking about /community/projects/gem, but any other thoughts
>>> are
>>> welcome
>> That sounds sound since Rradical also has a space there. But the
>> there seam to be a Gem wiki at /dev/gemwiki/. I think it would make
>> sense then to have those together.
>>
>> I have no real strong opinions other than i think it's great that
>> externals/libs have a reference website with documentation and stuff.
>
> I say that put the individual pages in the spaces appropriate instead
> of making a site within a site, like downloads on the downloads page,
> development notes in the /dev/ section, documentation in the /docs
> section, etc.

the features of the currently used cms allow us to collect all
documentation (or whatever) that is spread over the entire site into
"intelligent" folders.
this way you will be see the Gem-documentation in the docs folder (if
used properly) even if it lives in my private home-directory. the same
is true for the /community/projects/ space, where right now you see the
MIDI-turntable project which actually lives in the home of j.p.casainho.

what i do want is:
- allow other people to edit the gem.iem.at site (without giving them
shell-access to our webserver)
- use cms-features like announcements and the like (which are provided
by puredata.info)
- do not affect the structure of the current gem.iem.at site. (this is:
the same content (but maintained and enhanced) should still be available
under gem.iem.at)

these reasons make me think of using puredata.info for hosting
gem.iem.at (i could set up another plone instance for gem; but this
seems like an overhead)
cluttering the content across the site by hand is something that should
be done automatically not by humans. for humans the form that is most
comfortable to the editors should be used (and since i guess that i will
be the main editor, i would prefer the site-in-site approach)

this is: for me the "space appropriate" is one single space and not
several ones.
several spaces can then use the information even more appropriately.

fmgas.dr.
IOhannes