[Pdweb] a place for ... GEM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jun 10 22:21:24 CEST 2007

Steffen wrote:
> On 10/06/2007, at 21.05, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> furthermore i am thinking about setting adding the plone-software-
>> center
>> to the puredata.info page, which is a system for releasing files,
>> bugtracking and documenting software.
>
> I'm not 100% sure how this software work, but having such features
> for different members small to big puredata projects sounds nice.
> However,
> 1) how does it differ from the current settings if it had a bugtracker?

there has been discussion on whether it would be ok to use the
sourceforge release system for "private" (this is: not pd-vanilla not
pd-extended) packages; the answer has been negative.

i am still searching for an alternative.

i was already thinking about registering another project at sourceforge
where "everyone" could become release-manager (just like "everyone" can
become developper at the pure-data repository).

using the puredata.info seems a more logical place though.

> 2) not all use the puredata.info site for sharing there work, but
> rather their own system somewhere, hence i fear you'd labor for wee
> bonus. But if you'd need it for the Gem stuff, then it'll of cause be
> in use and worth the effort.

i do not necessarily need it; but it would be nice to have.
(the trigger for all this has been an email chris clepper has sent me,
containing a new Gem-binary for os-x, so that i can publish it; i would
prefer if he could do this himself)

furthermore there is still no real central place to get stuff:
- there is the CVS (but this is only for people who can use a compiler)
- there is pd-extended (but for me this is too monolithic; it is ok, but
i would like to have an alternative too)
- there is the current "downloads" section, but honestly i find it
totally unattractive (that is: graphically)

imho, it would be best to replace the current "downloads" section with
the plone-software-center

>> the good thing about it is, that it can incorporate external
>> sources as
>> well (e.g. use the sf-tracker as an issue tracker)
>
> That i don't understand.

the binaries can be located somewhere else (but also they can be
directly on the site)
a bug-tracker can be maintained somewhere else (but could also be
maintained within the portal)
documentation can be somewhere else (but can also be within the project)

examples:
binaries on-site: https://test.umlaeute.mur.at/portal/download/zexy
binaries off-site:
https://test.umlaeute.mur.at/portal/download/gem/releases/0.90

trackder/doc on-site:
https://test.umlaeute.mur.at/portal/download/zexy

tracker/doc off-site:
https://test.umlaeute.mur.at/portal/download/gem

it is not much: but you have a standardized interface for the users to
chose what they want, no matter where the actual data lives.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes