[Pdweb] a place for ... GEM

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 13 03:22:13 CEST 2007

On Jun 10, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> i do not necessarily need it; but it would be nice to have.
>> (the trigger for all this has been an email chris clepper has sent
>> me,
>> containing a new Gem-binary for os-x, so that i can publish it; i
>> would
>> prefer if he could do this himself)
>>
>> furthermore there is still no real central place to get stuff:
>> - there is the CVS (but this is only for people who can use a
>> compiler)
>> - there is pd-extended (but for me this is too monolithic; it is
>> ok, but
>> i would like to have an alternative too)
>> - there is the current "downloads" section, but honestly i find it
>> totally unattractive (that is: graphically)
>>
>> imho, it would be best to replace the current "downloads" section
>> with
>> the plone-software-center
>
> I didn't yet look at this product, but from what you wrote so far this
> looks like a very cool thing to have.

I think that Plone is much too complicated for what we need for
puredata.info.  I think we would be better off if the whole thing was
a wiki.  Right now we get very little user generated content, there
are only a couple contributors to the website.  I think this is
because things are much too complicated.

As for the downloads page, I am currently the maintainer and I really
see no advantage to changing it.  If you want to add the plone
software center as an additional thing, that's fine by me.

Same goes with the bugtracker, the sourceforge one works well, I see
no reason to change it.

.hc